phorku's chess blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Big Winner!!

Went to the chess club yesterday and won 2 out my 3 games. My last game we were playing 25m with a 5s delay. I sacked a Bishop for 2 pawns and a raging attack. I was really beggining to tear him up when I got short on my clock. My flag feel just as I was finishing him off.

So I was very happy with my play after many losses the last couple times I was at the club. I was sitting there enjoying enjoying the moment when the TD comes up and says "Here.". I look up and his is holding out $6. I say "Huh?". The TD tells me I tied for first. So minus the $5 entry fee I won a whole $1.

I have learned some new lessons as well. There is book learning and then there is understanding. I have always read about and some times played for the center and putting rooks on open files. I never really fully understood the importance of it till lately. I always liked the attacking game as I am pretty sure about 90% of the Knights do. I play openings that usually involve taking space and attacking on the king side. It is amazing how many players will castle short anyway. Anyway I would usually play on the flank trying to go for the kill. I have learned that supporting the center aids in these attacks and often allows for attacks from both sides of the board. Doubled rooks on open or half open files in the center are great for this. Plus it often restricts your opponents movement. Seems obvious but now it is more than just a memorized lesson.

4 Comments:

  • Keep up the ass kicking! It's fun and it makes one look both younger and fitter!

    By Blogger SamuraiPawn, at 3:50 AM  

  • ROFL! It's not really a game with financial incentives is it? The last tournament I was in, I won the prize for biggest upset...a whopping five dollars. With gas, hotel for two nights, and food...well lets just say I ended up in the hole.

    By Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza, at 3:27 PM  

  • Hey Tim,

    I've checked out your blog a few times, especially since you played my dad last year (you posted about it last September). He's a tough guy to beat sometimes.

    Anyways, good luck with your chess. It does take an awful lot of patience and some disregard for your own and your opponents' ratings.

    By Blogger Joe Erjavec, at 12:59 PM  

  • Wow, are you going to retire after winning that huge prize, or just continue to be the big spender you are.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home