phorku's chess blog

Monday, August 28, 2006

Recent Activities

Well it has been a while since I posted. I have been pretty busy lately. I started my new job on June 19th. I wear 2 hats; database administrator and developer. The company has had explosive growth and is pretty short handed. I work in a mostly new IT department and the entire network is going to be mostly rebuilt. I have been working some extra hours trying to get things in order and make a good impression.

When I get busy I usually slack off on my blogging first. I have been studying a variety of material. Some mentioned in my last post. I got the chess base CDs for the bishop's/Vienna and the Dutch Leningrad. The Dutch CD seems at first glance to be all for the g6 variation that I never play. I guess I picked the wrong Dutch CD. Oh well maybe there is some good stuff in there. The bishop's/Vienna CD I like alot. There are some lines in there not covered in my books that give the opening a whole new flavor. I am starting to really enjoy it. I make less mistakes in the opening now and spend less time calculating book lines. It is not so much that I have memorized the lines but understand some of the concepts better. I also understand some of the trickier lines now as well.

I took a break from tactical study for a few weeks while studying some of this material. I am still surprised how fast your tactical muscle gets flabby. I have been studying my tactics on the CTS as well. If I get some more free time I will update my tactics stats.

I lost all my 45 45 games and my team did not do well. I am not disappointed though. I put the team together at the last minute and just wanted to play. I played pretty well, not making any gross blunders except under time pressure. I got beaten by chessbridge, a blind 17 year old twice. My family finds endless pleasure razzing me about that. I also tried to play in the 90 30 but the players were really bad about scheduling their games. My standard rating is down to 1577. I have been playing a lot of blitz lately. I will start going back to the club starting tomorrow in preparation for the club championships. These are G90 games that I enjoy. I don't like the G30 games much at all.

Here are 2 recent games I lost.
Game 1(new window)
Game 2(new window)

1 Comments:

  • The Leningrad variation of the Dutch is with a fiancettoed bishop and hence with g6. I don't like it.

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home