phorku's chess blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dutch Defense with b6 Bb7

I have been messing around with the Dutch but have found 2 things I really dont like. Here is the typical dutch set up (I never play g6 and try at all costs to avoid the stonewall with its weak square).
1. Queen side pieces are bottled up.
2. e6 pawn is weak.








Here is the structure I have been experimenting with. Sometimes I still play d6.


Does anyone have any information on this type of Dutch / Dutch Indian?


I found these 2 pages but little else.
Jacques Meises Dutch defence 1. d4 f5 2. g3 b6
Nimzo-Indian_Defence (check out Dutch Variation)

2 Comments:

  • You might want to check out a variation in the Classical Queens Indian: 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 b6 4. g3 Bb7 5. Bg2 Be7 6. 0-0 0-0 7. Nc3 Ne4 8. Qc2 Nxc3 9. Qxc3 f5

    It leads to a similar position where you play the bishop to f6 and then d6 Nd7 and push that weak pawn to e5. If white plays d5, you might have to return the other bishop in play through Bb7-c8

    By Blogger Frank Sträter, at 6:18 AM  

  • I've played the Dutch with some success, but I have not tried the b6 setup.

    I often check Chessgames.com to explore the relative soundness and results from an opening. There is little information there on 2..b6.

    By Blogger Joe Erjavec, at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home