phorku's chess blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Nezha...

Your blog is very interesting to me. It is interesting to see someone who started on the positional path. It explains why you don't understand some of the Knight's discovery of positional play. I still don't understand how to take advantage of light / dark squares very well. I have been beaten by it many times thought (Cruin with the English on the white squares). Why did you pick those books in the beginning? When I started to get serious about chess I went to the bookstore to find a book. I was already an aggressive attacking player, just
like I am in the martial arts, ping pong, risk, work and ...... life. I ended up picking a tactics book for my first chess book.

You talk a lot about people's nature and abilities. Some people are aggressive and some aren't, some athletic, some intelligent, some musically talented... and so on. This is true but, many talented people never develop their talent due to lack of drive or other reasons. When I was young I was not athletic or musically inclined. I did have some artistic talent and was intelligent. Like all people I was lazy. I wanted to be a commercial artist and I drew all the time. One year in school I sat across from this kid who made my drawings look like stick figures. I was so demoralized I gave up. Years later I joined the Army. It made a man out of me. It made me strong and gave me discipline. I learned I could be athletic. Not like most people but more than I thought. I was surprised what I could do even when I didn't want to. One day I thought what if I took all this discipline and applied it something I was interested in....

So after I got out of the Army I decided to quit smoking and lose my newly put on fat. So I searched around for a decent martial arts school. I had previously dabbled as a child and young adult and been humiliated in the Army. I found my first real school (Phillipine Institute of Martial Arts. Thanks Tony Marcial for the wonderful gift.) I was the best at the school at 2 different times. Completely unbelievable for me who had always been made fun of. I totally supassed my expectations and then went on to surpass them again at another school.

So my point is much can be accomplished with determination and practice. If you want to play like Nezha (never knew who he was before today) then you need to see if you have aggressiveness in you and practice aggressive play. Pick an opening that leads to open games or flank play on the King side (The King,The King,The King....it is what I think about most). Can I get to his before he gets to mine? Can I get to his before he eats through me queen side pawns and starts on my pieces? I will accept this doubled pawn for a half open f file. If you want to play aggressive sometimes you have to take postional risks. Try playing some unrated
games and try some new things. Who knows what will happen?

1 Comments:

  • > Why did you pick those books in the beginning?

    Actually just walked into a bookstore and picked the cheapest book I could find. I didn't even open it until i got home. All I know is that its cheap, it teaches fundamentals, and that the author was some guy named Jose Raul Capablanca. I remembered thinking, "Kasparov i know, but Jose? Who? this sounds like its made locally. Maybe thats why its cheap.."

    My first few books were picked just like this because i didn't want to spend too much money then on "just" a hobby.

    As for trying to play like Mr. Nezhmetdinov - i had this
    to say

    (I understand what you're trying to say about honing talents, and I've been trying new things and re-examining my play, but ye gads! it is slow work.)

    Anyway, you know martial arts too!? That does it, Is there anyone among the knights who doesn't know that stuff? Its weird how the interests of the knights intersect. Its like you find this packet of white stuff lying on the ground, just as the police happens to pass by. You say "Its just coincidence, honest!", and the police just grins at you.

    And yes - to anyone who reads, the knights meeting like this is "just coincidence, honest!!".

    By Blogger Nezha, at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home