phorku's chess blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Repitition not required for pattern recognition...

I have been reading Pandolfini's end game course and he has a positon similar to the one below except the queen is a rook. I was down to my last couple seconds in a time delay game. White has a number of options but I recognized the example instantly and moved Ke6 ;-) My opponent pushed his pawn and hit the clock. Can you see the next couple of moves?





Btw what is supposed to be the sequence for promoting a pawn at the club? Everyone pushes their pawn and hits the clock and both players usually scamble for the Queen. Can anyone tell me?

Anyway in this game he pushed hit the clock then I made my next move and hit the clock. He wanted his Queen and I told him it didn't matter. He saw instantly I was right and we played through to mate.

It was a very tough and interesting game. If I have time I will post the annotated portion later.

1 Comments:

  • The player who promotes has to find a queen before he is allowed to hit the clock. He may ask the arbiter for help. If he want's to use an upside down rook to represent a queen, he has to ask you for permission. Which you are not obliged to grant. That's why I always have two queens in my pocket:)

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home