phorku's chess blog

Monday, December 04, 2006

2360 down 4640 to go

Update:

I updated my sidebar.

I have updated my training routine to:
  • Monday: 100 CTS problems
  • Tuesday: Chess Club
  • Sunday: 45 5 mamer on FICS
  • Try to get 100 additional problems per week.
  • Positional / Endgame /Strategic / Opening study when stranded with a book. Currently reading Pandofini's endgame course.
  • Periodic review of chessgames database
  • Review of select games with Crafty
Since September 8th, 2005 I have completed over 2,360 problems:
CT-Art Level 10 x 3 + 96 89% / 85% / 93% / 90%
CT-Art Level 20 x 2 76% / 78%
CT-Art Level 30 x 2 57% / 62%
CT-Art Level 40 x 1 56%
CTS 812 / 75.6% /rating: 1322

My rating has not improved as much as I had liked and I am still missing simple tactics in my games. I have not been playing any standard games (unless you call G30 club standard) since the demise of the 45 45. I will start playing in the 45 5 mamer to get my standard games in. It will be interesting to see what happens to my rating after the long break from longer games.

Nezha is correct that tactics are the most important part of training and you can go far with studying just tactics. I don't think anyone disputes that. There are more sides to chess than just tactics though. Why should I be able to calculate a mate in 6 (rarely occurs) when I am deficient at my end game and positional play? End games occur more often as I get better and positional play helps when their are no tactics that I see and need a plan. It also tempers my aggressiveness, makes me more patient and helps me place my pieces in better positions which often leads to tactics.

In several games recently I have taken a couple of moves to create an outpost for one of my pieces that turned into a later tactical opportunity. Tak also discredits the postional game. What happens when your attack runs out? Tak also calls on the disciple Vukovic and his bible. But even Vokovic says prophylaxis is sometimes necessary. On page 296 there is an example which has the annotation "First White thouroughly eliminates the possibility of Black's playing b5".

Yes tactics are important but why not have some skills where you can restrict your opponent's play or convert to an easily won endgame?

2 Comments:

  • I just found out that that Halasz gambit sicilian you keep refering to, actually derived from the center game. Or Danish gambit. As in 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.f4

    for which is found no clear refutation. They don't speak too highly of the sicilian version though.

    I might try out a few games with that center game version. I've checked out a couple of games in which it is played, and it seems like a lot of fun. It has a good surprise element to it as well.

    By Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer, at 2:10 AM  

  • Yes you are right of course. endgame study, positional play, strategy and stuff should not be diminished. Its just that i don't study them now "per se". However, when i play, i use them too. I did study all those positional books once. Why throw knowledge away right. If it helps then use it i say.

    I think this is what happens to some. They just want to use tactics, but having an auxiliary plan like outposts, etc is also needed for if the tactics fail and one didn't prepare some other plan, he is in a world of hurt.

    Just like an insurance policy. We take it hoping well never need it. But we have to have one just the same.

    So tactics is my bread and butter, and positional play is my "insurance".

    By Blogger Nezha, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home