phorku's chess blog

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Current Training

Well as we all have discovered there is more to chess than tactical training. I have noticed that when I study tactics only my play gets more wild. Allow a Knight to invade a weak square on the queen side? Who cares, I will just point another piece at his King and I will beat him with a nice tactical combination. Well in the mean time he is taking away squares from my attacking pieces and invading my position. Eventually I cannot hold my position together anymore and it becomes a race to see wether he can eat up my army before I get to his King.

I always though positional chess was BORING. I thought it was a 'style' of play. So and so's a positional player. Well I have come to realize that I will have to be well rounded to improve my play. Some of my biggest gains were after studying positional books. Maybe MDLM was naturally a strong postitional player and needed tactics to round him out. When I study positional chess I play slower, consider my opponents counter play more, make preventative moves and generally play where I have the advantage rather than going on a king hunt.

So I have been studying Weapons of Chess (thanks J'adoube) while finishing up some other books, studying some variations of the Dutch Defense and Practicing my tactics on the chess tactics server.

I have also mostly collected my fics game reports (500) into a database of games. I have been using SCID to review them. I have already learned that several things I believed to be true are false.
Among the misoconceptions are:
1. I mostly win against the Sicilian.
2. I mostly lose against the French.
3. The frequency and effectiveness of Bxf7 sacrifices (or at least with the way I play).

I see that the Chessbase reader comes with some limited tools as well. I guess I need some more tools to do a decent analysis. Right now what I am looking for is a tool that will:
  • Annotate games and add ECO codes
  • Sort games on opening, postion, (un)rated, blitz/standard, and other criteria
  • Blunder check games (Positional and Tactical)
  • Provide ratings graphs and graphs of a game as in the MDLM book
I would like to get a set of tactical problems from my own games.

More to come later. Better hit publish post before I get dropped from some more blogs........

4 Comments:

  • Fritz does a decent job on analysis and annotating.

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 8:38 PM  

  • You'll find that more and more tactics will become available to you as your postional play becomes better (J'adoube's Law). [grin]

    A good follow up to WOC is Seirawan's Strategy book.

    - J'adoube

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:40 AM  

  • if you play own fritz and play on playchess.com most of that stuffs happens upon analysis. Games you play are automatically dumped into a my internet game folder.

    By Blogger takchess, at 9:01 PM  

  • Hi there!

    I’m trying to solve some problems with my new template and wondered if you could help me out. Could you please check out my blog and see if the layout is as it is supposed to, that is with the title “Samurai Chess” at the top of the page.

    It seems that people with Internet Explorer 6.0 or older has problems viewing the page correctly, namely some problems with the scrolling function which puts the title and posts further down on the page.. Some have updated their IE to the new 7.0 which seems to have worked out fine. Please get back to me if you experience any problems.

    Thanks!

    Sincerely

    /Chris aka Samuraipawn

    By Blogger SamuraiPawn, at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home