phorku's chess blog

Monday, November 14, 2005

Taking a beating

The games at the club went back to G30 last week and I lost all 3 games. These games are really short for me and do not seem like proper chess. They are probably good practice for me though as I often have time trouble in my 30 30 and 45 45 games. One player in my quad was obviously a better player than the rest of us since he won all three of his games plus all his games at the last tournament. I also lost 2 games on FICS and my internet connection went down on a 3rd lost game. I haven't done much tactical training either compared to the last couple months. I finally finished moving into the girl friend's and cleaning my apartment. What a chore especially since cleaning takes a back seat to work kids and hobbies. I thought one of my losses this weekend was respectable until I reviewed it with Crafty. My opponent and I both missed a mate in 1 (against me) 2 moves in a row.

One big flaw in my playing is that I only know how to attack. I attack prematurely or when preventative measures would be more appropriate. Sometimes I miss taking some pawn's because I am focused on his king. One thing I have noticed with CT-Art is that most of the tactics are checkmate or attacks on major/minor pieces. I rarely see any problems that gain a pawn unless it is close to queening.

One thing that I disagree in MDLM's program is that he says positional and end game study are unnecessary. I really think I could benefit from some positional study especially in these short games where I could be improving my position and perhaps saving some time. I noticed that I often am extended more than my opponents making it easier for them to pick up pieces.

1 Comments:

  • Phorku, it sounds like you're right where I was about May 2004. I read Pachman's Modnern Chess Strategy book (memorizing the games before I'd move to the next example) over the course of 6 months, and that seemed to help my game. I also used Chess Mentor to round out my game.

    Long story short, I agree to a point that MDLM is incorrect here. I think it's important to get grounded in all aspects of the game at a basic level. However, he is correct in saying that you will get the most bang for your buck with tactical study. The more I work CTS, the more I believe this is true. Tactical study is good for both defense and offense when used with a good thought process (I've struggled with developing that process, but I think I have a decent one now).

    As far as wanting to attack all the time, I was also cursed with that. One thing that has helped me is to think of ju jitsu. In ju jitsu, one has to be able to function equally well from the bottom (Nick Diaz!) or from the top (Diego Sanchez!). So, always, always, ALWAYS consider your opponent's threats before you even look at your own possibilities on EVERY move. Defend if you need to defend, but just like in ju jitsu, defend actively and search for the counter(attack)!

    By Blogger CelticDeath, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home