phorku's chess blog

Monday, October 10, 2005

Redback Makes Me Work For The Win

I won my R4 45 45 game(new window) this week. It was a tough game and I had a lot of uncertainty on how the position(s) should be played. Like J'adoube says it is often difficult to come up with a plan when there are no tactical shots or King attack. I felt like I played poorly making several calculation errors. Luckily none were fatal. After the game my opponent was complaining about how much time I used and he finished with more time on his clock than he started with. Actually we were still playing when he started his evaluation and I had to prompt him to finish the game first. I like it when my opponents hurry. It is one of my main weapons to bore my opponent to death. If everyone took their time I would be rated much lower.

I am 3-1 for my teamchess games so far and next week I play on board 1. Hopefully I will not disappoint the team.

I was really stumped at several points in the game trying to come up with a plan so if anyone wants to offer any insight or tips I would be grateful.

3 Comments:

  • 11. ... Qc7?? didn't help your opponent any (11. ... dxc3 is rather obvious). Also, I wouldn't have been so eager to exchange queens in an equal position like you had after move 14. One thing you might have done differently is to focus on completing development. I probably would have castled kingside and focused on queenside activity (where your pawns point is generally where you should play). I think 15. 0-0 followed by 16. b4 is an interesting idea worth examining. The point would be disruption of the opp's pawn structure and picking off his advanced pawns. Note that he couldn't safely attempt a reciprocal idea in g5, because not only do you have that point well-protected, but he also then wouldn't be able to castle safely (limited pawn protection).

    By Blogger CelticDeath, at 9:31 AM  

  • 11. ...dxc3 gives me 2 pawns and a rook for my N. 12. Bxc3 Q?{move it or loose it} 13. Bxg7 Nh6? 14. Bxh8.

    Doesn't 15. 0-0 16. b4 drop the pawn? He has 3 pieces covering b4 and I have 1. Oh, I see I get the d pawn.

    By Blogger phorku, at 9:51 AM  

  • Yep. You're right about 11. ... dxc3. I missed the Bishop re-take.

    By Blogger CelticDeath, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home