phorku's chess blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

Breaks good...

Overtraining bad.

How many times have I learned this lesson?

Martial Arts:
  • Lateral Epicondylitis
  • Arthritis in hips
  • Bursitis in forearms
  • Arthritis in hands
Lifting:
  • Triceps tendonitis
Skating:
  • Achilles tedonitis
I have found in each of these things I overtrained in, if I was forced to stop for a short period, my skills would be at their peak when I return. Of course, continuous overtraining leads to bad things. Part of the reason why I would have the improvement is because my enjoyment of the activity would also be at its peak. Fun = Performance.

So I wonder if thats where those odd guys at the club come from... over training in chess?

Anyway check out my CTS graph:
The beginning part is drudgery of consitent training, then the peak of enjoyment, then the return of drudgery. Luckily my game performance does not seem to be linked to my CTS performance. Regularly working out on CTS has helped alot. I think I am going to start adding in the more difficult CT-Art problems to my training. I need to be able to calculate deeper as well as faster.

Perhaps I will slow down on the number of problems I do. I will hit the 7000 mark sooner or later. This goal is now trivial, I know I will get there over time, and it should not over shadow the real goal of chess improvement (and having fun).

2 Comments:

  • great going!! keep it up adn especially enjoy the game.

    By Blogger Montse, at 5:59 PM  

  • I'm the same way. In high school i was a scrawny little thing until I discovered the weight room. But then I overdid it and got my rotator cuffs all messed up.

    I think in chess the way to overtrain is to get unbalanced: forget about exercise, eating right, sleeping well. Luckily there is no chess muscle we can permanently damage.

    By Blogger Blue Devil Knight, at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home