phorku's chess blog

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I got 2 points at the club tonight but it should have been 3.

ROBERT KEEHL(R973/Q952) - TIMOTHY J FLORY(1302/1183P11) 0-1
TIMOTHY J FLORY - LISA KRYSH(884/856) 1-0
TIMOTHY J FLORY - JOSEPH M ERJAVEC JR(1335/1315)0-1

Game 1 was nothing remarkable.

Game 2 was a blow out with a pawn fork and discovered Q attack. My opponent had all her numbers and letters painted over on her board so she could learn the squares. I told her at my level accurate annotation was better so that I could review my games and see the stuff I missed.

Game 3 I dropped a piece, then the guy was all over me with 2 N and a Q. I had 6 minutes on my clock he had 15. Goes into this trade off where we go into my B vs his N and 2 extra pawn endgame. He runs down his clock, misses a decisive phork, runs a pawn down to h2 and can't figure out how to get my B out of the corner. We race another pawn across the board his queening first. I end up forcing him to trade it for my last pawn. I start racing my K to the other corner but he still has another pawn or 2 left. I am so embarrassed this guy beat me twice.

I am starting to get used to the club play except for the noise. Next week starts the G90 club championships. I look forward to reclaiming some of my points. Glad I didn't lose the other 2 games. Guess I will have plenty of USCF points to improve with the program.

3 Comments:

  • So no more G/30 Quads starting next week? Just one G90 per week? I would like that a lot better myself.
    Sounds like your club has a lot of players, I think that one I went to last week only has around 10 people that show up regularly.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:24 AM  

  • Right several weeks of G90, one game per week. There are usually a good 20-30 people there. I am guessing there may be more during the winter. I like playing on the computer better since it does not allow illegal moves, calls the draws and records the games. I found it is easier to be influenced by your opponent in person as well. Some of these guys move so fast I get caught up in it. I will probably start some correspondence games soon. Need to find out how to do that. I am hoping that my drills will help me with the shorter time control games as well.

    By Blogger phorku, at 11:32 AM  

  • You can try out chessworld.net or redhotpawn.com or itsyourturn.com... all of those sites allow correspondence chess for free, just register. Of course if you pay you get more features but you don't have to pay. I'm a paying member at chessworld.net so if you play there let me know and we can play a game.
    I felt the same way last week at chess club, as far as influenced by opponents, etc. I'm sure more exposure will help that. I do like the fact that the computer doesn't allow illegal moves, but I like playing a live person otb. (even though with gas an arm and a leg I probably shouldn't)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home