phorku's chess blog

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Pawn play in the middle game...

Ok, so I have been studying chess a bit and keep coming across this minority attack thing. I understand it but not when to use it. I have played a couple thousand chess games and never consciously used it once.

However, I discovered the majority attack. In several games I have mounted a fierce attack and my opponent has mounted an adequate defense. Most the pieces are tied up and I usually lose. Why? Because I can't come up with a plan.

So the 1657 I beat this weak has been reading the Soltis Pawn structure book and told me after he beat me last time he was a defensive player. I had white and like always I play the Bishops / Vienna (King's gambit is calling) and mount a king side attack on his fianchettoed, castled king. He adequately defends as I expected. He had a doubled f pawn and I had the Q side / center majority. My attack has fizzled and I need a new plan. I decide to leave the pressure on the king side while I try to advance and create a passed pawn on the queen side to give him something else to worry about and prepare for the end game. He mounts a king side pawn storm and inadvertently drops his B when he captures a pawn with the B's defending pawn.

Passed pawn and Piece advantage in hand I went on to win the endgame.

So now perhaps I have an Idea of when to try a minority attack.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home